Monday, November 16, 2009

Words to write by... #1

... Well, I didn't get to all the blogs I wanted to highlight last week, but that's okay. Leaves me a few in my hip pocket for another time.

This week, I thought I'd throw out some quotes that I like. Words to live by, words to write by, words to mull over and maybe re-use in some fashion or other.

This first quote is just something that I've been turning over in my mind for quite a while now. I came across it in a book called Evil in Modern Thought by Susan Neiman, in a discussion about evil and intent:
What counts is not what your road is paved with, but whether it leads to hell.
I love this comment on the old saying: "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions." I think it's the perfect thing for Reverend Sands (one of my characters from the Silver Rush series) to say at some point. And, it's got me thinking about villains in general and the villain for book #4 in particular. So, don't be surprised if, in the future, the good Reverend has something insightful to say about intentions and the road to hell ...

3 comments:

Camille Minichino said...

It suits him perfectly!
That's 16 words on the way to 90000!

(sorry ..:=)

Patricia Stoltey said...

I like the quote, but my first thought was cobblestones and how it would matter a lot to a woman wearing high heels.

My mind wanders aimlessly when given the tiniest prompt...

Ann Parker said...

Camille: 16 down and... how many to go?... :-/ I better get crackin'!

Patricia: I like how your mind wanders! Sounds perfect for coming up with story ideas. A road to Hell paved with cobblestones ... some woman grumbling about twisted ankles as she carefully negotiates the treacherous path... Hmmm. Definitely woo-woo elements there...