Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Wednesday's Random Slang-o-rama: Befuddled (because I am)

 I woke up with a start this morning, feeling befuddled and wondering what day it is. It's the day after Valentine's Day, sure, I knew that, but more to the point it's WEDNESDAY which means it's SLANG-O-RAMA DAY and I haven't prepared a post!

Since I'm already befuddled, I figure that's a good word to tackle. How old is it? Sounds sort of Shakespearean, doesn't it. And is the root word fuddle, and if so, what does THAT mean?

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Turns out, befuddled isn't as old as I thought! The Online Etymology Dictionary dates befuddle, meaning "confuse," from 1873. However, OED notes the word had an older, more specific meaning which predates that:

befuddle [verb]... originally "to confuse with strong drink or opium" (by 1832), from be- + fuddle. An earlier word in the same sense was begunk (1725). Related: Befuddled; befuddling.

I'll admit I'm beguiled by the word begunk, but will stay on task here... How nifty that fuddle is indeed a real word!  OED provides the following information:

fuddle [verb] 1580s, "to get drunk" (intransitive); c. 1600, "to confuse as though with drink" (transitive), of obscure origin, perhaps from Low German fuddeln "work in a slovenly manner (as if drunk)," from fuddle "worthless cloth." ... A hard-drinker in 17c. might be called a fuddle-cap (1660s).

Not much else to find elsewhere in a quick internet search, although I do like Merriam-Webster's definition of the adjective befuddled: "utterly confused or puzzled : deeply perplexed." Yep. That pretty much describes my state of mind when I woke up this morning. But no longer. I am now thoroughly un-befuddled, thanks to Slang-o-rama.

Whaaat day is this?
Image by tigerlily713 from Pixabay



No comments: