Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Wednesday's Random Slang-o-rama: Batten down the hatches

 Big storm a-brewing in Northern California, so I have been busy running around, trying to batten down the hatches here at home. Although I'm not entirely sure what "batten" refers to. Slang-o-rama to the rescue!

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
As you might know/have guessed, the phrase batten down the hatches, which means prepare for troublehas a nautical background. The American Heritage Dictionary of Idioms notes:

This term originated in the navy, where it signified preparing for a storm by fastening down canvas over doorways and hatches (openings) with strips or wood called battens. [late 1800s]

Jeez, I sure hope I'm not going to need canvas. Or sandbags or battens. Because I don't have any! (But I do have a flashlight.)

For all those in the path of this "bomb cyclone," I hope you are off the roads and staying cozy, safe, and dry. Hats off (and rainslickers on!) to first responders/emergency services personnel, who are no doubt facing a busy night tonight...

Ship in the Stormy Sea, by Ivan Aivazovsky (1887)


No comments: