Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Wednesday's Random Slang-o-rama: Spuddle

 Whew, Thanksgiving is officially in the rear-view mirror. However, other late fall/early winter holidays and celebratory occasions are tumbling in and I feel like I'm dashing about (at least, mentally) without getting much done. In other words, I'm spuddling around.

As for spuddle, this is what I have to say about that...

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
I first saw spuddle on Facebook, where writer/good buddy Dani Greer posted the graphic below:

I decided sighting this word must be a Slang-o-rama sign from the Universe. Gathering what little energy I had, I poked around the internet and found spuddle listed as a "word of the day" on For Reading Addicts. I then bumped into it on Dictionary.net, which referred me to Wiktionary, which led me to a lengthy entry in Joseph Wright's The English Dialect Dictionary (1905). This last provided a number of definitions, some of which involve digging in the ground and plowing. At that point, I decided I was done digging for information on spuddle... at least, for now.

Welcome to December! May any/all of your celebrations be of the non-spuddling sort.

Must recover now, so I can do more than spuddle for Christmas
The Tired Dancer, by John Reinhard Weguelin (1879)
Internet, Public Domain
https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=61888403






No comments: