Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Wednesday's Random Slang-o-rama: Shilly-shally

 

If we lived in the year 1882, could we shilly-shally? Or, if we had to be historically accurate, would we have to dawdle, dally, hesitate, or vacillate instead? (All of which are perfectly good synonyms, by the way.)
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

According to The Phrase Finder, we'd be good to go. The term was out and about by 1700 in the form of shill-I shall-I. For those scratching their heads, the phrase's form reflects the question: "Shall I?" Shill-I was added for effect, in a process dubbed reduplication in linguistics, in which the root of a word (or part of it) or even the whole word is repeated exactly or with a slight change. (Another example of reduplication in action is the phrase heebie-jeebies.)

For first appearance in written form, The Phrase Finder points to this bit of dialogue from William Congreve's 1700 play The Way of the World:
I am somewhat dainty in making a resolution, because when I make it I keep it. I don't stand shill I, shall I, then; if I say't, I'll do't. 
This is no time to shilly-shally.
Image by Gerd Altmann from Pixabay 


2 comments:

Liz V. said...

In 21st Century, the pseudonym Ricardo Shilly Shally is used in an episode of the sitcom The Big Bang Theory.

Ann Parker said...

HA! That's very cool, Liz!