Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Wednesday's Random Slang-o-rama: Slowpoke


Well, this particular Wednesday sort of snuck up on me... I'm such a slowpoke!

Hmmmmm. Slowpoke. Where did that originate from, I wonder?

And when I wonder, I begin to wander....

 >
  >
  >
  >
  >
  >
  >
  >
  >
  >
  >
  >

American Slang, 2nd Edition, by Robert L. Chapman, has this to say:

slowpoke (by 1848): A slow, sluggish, slothful person [from slow used for vowel rhyme with the early-1800s poke, "behave dilatorily, potter, saunter," perhaps influenced by 16th-century slowback, "sluggard"]

I guess I'll just saunter along, then...



 


3 comments:

Liz V. said...

The hare's favorite slur for the tortoise.

Ann Parker said...

HA! True, Liz... :-) Thoreau would probably approve of the tortoise's approach to life...

Camille Minichino said...

I think I've mastered this!
:)